"There are two Primitive Baptist churches
in the county, one called Little Flock, situated about two miles
southeast of Ozark. It was organized about 1859, in William Frizzell's
barn. The charter members were William Frizzell and wife, Abe
Miller and Wife, William Simpson and wife, John Chester and wife,
Elijah Reeves and wife, Mrs. Catherine Rushing, Mrs. A. Nickols.
Mrs. Jane Rushing, who is now eighty-four years old is the only
living charter member. They built a church house later and are
still carrying on their work. Mrs. N. L. Chester is a member
of this church at present and G. W. Rushing is the clerk. Some
of their pastors have been Richard Fulkerson, William Gouge and
Lemuel Potter. Rock Springs is another church of this faith located
" There was a log home N. E. of the
George Rushing and later Don Bundren house and barn and Primitive
Baptist Church was held there until the building burned. A knoll
and a well marks the spot. A pond is near the same barn lot.
Nancy Jane Chester Rushing rode her horse to the area along side her parents who came by ox wagon in 1850. She was eleven years old at the time. She also was a charter pupil in the Reagan School House which opened in 1852. I taught Reagan during its centennial year, 1952. Wm. Frizzell'sdaughter, betsy married John Chester. John owned what was later the Clyde Tite farm and was previously the George Murphy farm. His sons were, Arthur, Cecil, Earl, and Charlie Murphy.
Nathaniel LaFayette Chester and Sarah Holland
John and Jane Rushing had (1) Richard, (2)
George, (3) Flara, and (4) Henry, also,
Dr. Lewis Cox and Flara had Lela, Lowell,
Earl, Hazel and Jewel.
Henry had John, Charlie, Martha and Lee.
Lowell Cox had Ray Lowell.
Hazel Cox had Donald, George, and Glenna
George had Denny, Sammy, and Kathy Renee.
John and Betsy Chester had (1) Nancy Jane,
(Mrs. John Rushing) , (2) Nathaniel LaFayette, (3) Richard, (4)
James, (5) Rebecca, (6) Adeline (Mrs. Thomas Clayton Cole)
Earl Cox married Georgia Maxwell, a teacher, and they are the parents of Mary Louise who first married Dr. George William Glascock. Dr. Glascock was killed in an auto accident in 1946. Mary Louise later married Ronnie Doerge. Thay have, George, Kathryn Lee, William, Suzanne, Michal, Elizabeth Ann, John Eric and Richard Allen; great-great-great grandchildren of Wm. Frizell, namely, William Chester, Nathaniel Rushing, and Jeremiah Cox."
________ written by Georgia Maxwell Cox, taken from Parker's History of Johnson County, IL., page 40.
Back to Church Index